Analytics Data Scientist - Sandton
Package: Negotiable depending on experience and qualifications
Purpose of the position: To improve the quantity and quality of analysis projects delivered by the Analytics team, as well as driving the use of advanced analytics and measuring their value.
Be the subject matter expert on Advanced Analytical techniques as well as adhoc data analyses.
• Display competence in developing complex statistical algorithms.
• Become the ‘go-to’ person for any statistics or calculation related questions.
• Support and up skill the team as needed.
• Provide recommendations and justifications for specific techniques to use.
Responsible for designing an approach, identifying relevant tasks and providing effort estimates involved with various development projects within the analytics environment.
• Meeting with relevant stakeholders to understand project requirements.
• Solution design and identification of distinct tasks within the project.
Manage time and continuously track progress on tasks to ensure on time delivery.
• Provide accurate time estimates for tasks.
• Make use of task scheduling tools to keep track of progress.
• Manage time between multiple simultaneous projects.
Ensure all deliverables meets expectation and are of the highest quality.
• Work with the relevant parties to acquire necessary data if not readily available.
• Manage expectations throughout project.
• Continually engage with stakeholders to ensure deliverable meets requirements.
• Follow all QA processes and implement additional checks where necessary to ensure deliverables are accurate and of highest standard
Provide support to the other SQL and R users.
Execute adhoc analyses to gain a better understanding into customer behavior and the effect of company actions.
• Meet with all stakeholders to ensure a clear understanding of project requirements.
• Ensure all projects are briefed properly before work begins.
• Create analysis plans for all medium to large projects with estimate timelines.
• Ensure on time delivery of results and presenting of findings where necessary.
Improve the effectiveness of business decisions through advanced analytical techniques to enable measurement, tracking and automation for various decisions/tasks.
• Design methods of measuring the impact of various activities.
• Improve the performance of activities by developing analytical models to optimize impact.
• Work with the IT, UCS and other analytics teams to identify the best tools and approaches to ensure all outputs are implemented in the most useful and efficient way.
Qualifications and Experience
• Honours degree in Actuarial sciences or related field.
• Strong statistical programming skills (SAS, R or similar).
• Strong SQL programming skills.
• Experience in statistical model development.
• SAP experience beneficial.
• QlikView or QlikSense experience beneficial.
• 3+ years’ experience in advanced analysis role.
• Strong problem solving ability [quickly grasp a problem and independently design a viable solution]
• Detailed planner [setting of timelines and keeping to them]
• Resilient worker [persevere and deliver despite challenges]