BI Data Modeller - Sandton
- Design data models that meet the business requirements and align to the agreed architecture framework.
- Ensure data modelling deliverables are delivered according to project plan and budget to meet commitment to stakeholders.
- Ensure all data modelling activities and deliverables are aligned to the development methodology and to the data modelling principles and standards
- Apply the approved tooling to create the data modelling deliverables.
- Adopt the Enterprise Data Model (which is based on the IFW) as a standard for data model designs to leverage best practice and fast track data modelling efforts.
- Translate business requirements into data requirements.
- Analyse and profile the source data to understand data quality issues, relationships, patterns and rules in the data.
- Structure data requirements into logical data constructs based on the Enterprise Data Model, including ERD models, dimensional models to ensure optimal implementation.
- Compile Source to Target Mapping Specifications
- Ensure complete and correct data by identifying definitive or authoritative source of data; analysing source data; and identifying gaps
- Enable physical implementation of the data structure by generating the first cut physical data model from the logical data model.
- Facilitate dataflow understanding by collating dataflow diagrams outlining the flow of data across systems and interfaces.
- Reduce non-value adding work by identifying opportunity for re-use of the Enterprise Data Model
- Maintain up to date knowledge of latest developments in the Data Modelling domain, including reading; continuous professional development courses; seminars and conferences.
- 3-5 years and/or relevant industry experience as well as experience in the Data Modelling discipline
- Able to demonstrate practical experience in relational and dimensional modelling techniques, OO modelling also an advantage
- Experience using Infosphere Data Architect or any other Data Modelling Tool
- Experience with industry models such as IFW BDW and FSDM
- Broad understanding of Data Management (DMBOK), systems development lifecycle methodologies and IT Architecture
- Relevant regulatory knowledge, and understanding of banking and financial services
- Data analysis: Applies data analysis, data modelling, and quality assurance techniques, based upon a detailed understanding of business processes, to establish, modify or maintain data structures and associated components (entity descriptions, relationship descriptions, attribute definitions). Advises database designers and other application development team members on the details of data structures and associated components.
- Data Modelling: Specialist knowledge of database concepts, object and data modelling techniques and design principles.
- Exercises substantial personal responsibility and autonomy. Plans own work to meet given objectives and processes in an efficient manner. Plans, schedules and monitors work to meet time and quality targets.
- Work includes a broad range of complex technical or professional activities, in a variety of contexts. Investigates, defines and resolves complex issues.
- Accomplishing tasks by considering all areas involved, no matter how small; showing concern for all aspects of the job; accurately checking processes and tasks; being watchful over a period of time.
- Makes decisions which influence the success of projects and team objectives.
- Selects appropriately from applicable standards, methods, tools and applications. Communicates fluently, orally and in writing, and can present complex information to both technical and non-technical audience.
- Facilitates collaboration between stakeholders who share common objectives.
- Setting high goals for personal and group accomplishment; using measurement methods to monitor progress toward goals; tenaciously working to meet or exceed goals while deriving satisfaction from that achievement and continuous improvement.
- Participates in external activities related to data modelling
- Takes responsibility for driving own development by actively identifying new areas for learning; regularly creating and taking advantage of learning opportunities. Rapidly absorbs new information and applies it effectively.
- A degree/diploma in Computer Science / Information Systems / Business Administration / Commerce or equivalent
- Preferred Qualifications: TOGAF