Chief Technical Officer - Cape Town
The CIO’s role is to provide vision and leadership for developing and implementing information technology initiatives. Directing the planning and implementation of enterprise IT systems in support of operations in order to improve cost effectiveness, service quality, and business development. This role is responsible for all aspects of the organization’s information technology and systems.
• Manage the performance and delivery of Software Development, Infrastructure Services, Business Intelligence and IT Vendor account management departments.
• Participate in strategic and operational governance processes of the business organization as a member of the senior management team.
• Lead technology strategic and operational planning to achieve business goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing technology initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future technology systems across the organization.
• Develop and maintain an appropriate technology organizational structure that supports the needs of the organisation.
• Establish departmental goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
• Act as an advocate for the organization’s technology vision via regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, department heads, and end users.
• Identify opportunities for the appropriate and cost-effective investment of financial resources in technology systems and resources, including staffing, sourcing, purchasing, and in-house development.
• Assess and communicate risks associated with technology investments.
• Develop, track, and control the information technology annual operating and capital budgets.
• Develop business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for technology spending and initiatives.
• Coordinate and facilitate consultation with stakeholders to define systems requirements for new technology implementations.
• Ensure continuous delivery of technology services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of technology systems performance.
• Ensure technology system operation adheres to applicable laws and regulations.
• Establish lines of control for current and proposed information systems.
• Define and communicate plans, policies, and standards for the organization for acquiring, implementing, and operating technology systems.
• Direct development and execution of an enterprise-wide disaster recovery and continuity plan.
• Approve, prioritize, and control projects and the project portfolio as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major information systems.
• Review hardware and software acquisition and maintenance contracts and pursue master agreements to capitalize on economies of scale.
• Assess and make recommendations on the improvement or re-engineering of the technology organization.
• Keep current with trends and issues in the technology industry, including current technologies and prices.
• Promote and oversee strategic relationships between internal technology resources and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations.
• Supervise recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all technology staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and HR policies.
• University degree in the field of computer science or business administration. Master’s degree in one these fields preferred or Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer Certificate with extended work experience in IT.
• 10 years experience managing and/or directing an IT operation.
• 10 years experience working in the IT industry, preferable internet related.
• Experience in strategic planning and execution.
• Experience in Microsoft MVC
• Substantial exposure to data processing, hardware platforms, enterprise software applications, and outsourced systems, including email, data, off site retention.
• Good understanding of computer systems characteristics, features, and integration capabilities.
• Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
• Proven experience in IT and software development planning, organization, and development.
• Excellent understanding of project management principles.
• In-depth knowledge of applicable laws and regulations as they relate to IT.
• Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.
• Proven leadership ability.
• Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong negotiating skills.
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
• Exceptionally self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail.
• Superior analytical, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities.
• Exceptional service orientation.
• Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Additional Competencies to be considered:
• demonstrates attention to detail
• identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
• gathers and analyzes information skillfully
• develops alternative solutions
• uses reason, even when dealing with emotional topics
• assesses own strengths and weaknesses
• displays critical/creative thinking
• possess necessary expertise to accomplish all tasks
• seeks self improvement
• learns new skills to improve job performance
• conserves organizational resources
• shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences
• promotes a harassment-free environment
• treats people with respect
• strives for personal and organizational excellence
• inspires the trust of others
• works ethically and with integrity
• follows policies and procedures
• completes tasks correctly and on time
• supports organization's goals, values, and policies
• strives for continuous improvement and solicits customer feedback to improve service
• timely response to requests for information, service, and assistance
• maintains confidentiality
• demonstrates a positive and productive attitude
• displays self-control and keeps emotions under control, even under pressure
• remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
• speaks clearly; listens and gets clarification
• exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views
• able to read and interpret written information
• writes clearly, accurately, and concisely
• completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan
• observes safety and security procedures; reports unsafe conditions
• displays willingness to make decisions
• measures self against standard of excellence
• follows instructions and responds to management directions
• uses equipment and materials according to policy
• takes responsibility for own actions
• prioritizes and plans work activities
• manages competing demands; uses time effectively
• is consistently at work on time
• looks for ways to improve and promote quality; makes recommendations for improvements
• positive role model; exhibits confidence in self and others
• demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness
• teaches, coaches, inspires, mentors, empowers others
• exhibits sound and accurate judgment and logical reason
• able to deal with frequent changes, delays, or unexpected events
• accepts responsibility; follows or exceeds organizational standards
• uses resources effectively and efficiently
• anticipates and plans accordingly
• works to improve team and organizational climate