A large road construction Company requires the expertise of a Grader Operator.
2 – 5 year contract
Type of Business:
Civil Construction / Road Works
R15 - 27 000 – 00 pm(Negotiable and dependant on experience)
At least 5 - 10 yrs. experience in civil construction, specifically road works, asphalt and sealing
Road Surface & Tarring Experience
(The main reason for the position, in what context and what is the overall end result).
- The Grader Operator is responsible to for operating the grader and other heavy equipment in a safe and effective manner in order to ensure the roadways are accessible, safe and in good operating condition.
(The way that the position contributes to and impacts on the organization)
- The Grader Operator is responsible for operating the grader and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner. Heavy equipment may include trucks, front-end loaders, dozers, compactors, and other pieces of equipment. The Grader Operator must also clean, maintain and secure all equipment.
- The Grader Operator must deal with residents and members of the public in a courteous and respectful manner. This includes receiving complaints about schedules and levels and quality of service. The Grader Operator must make note of and report on any such complaints and respond in a courteous and respectful manner.
(Major responsibilities and target accomplishments expected of the position including the typical problems encountered in carrying out the responsibilities.)
1. Operate heavy equipment in a safe and effective manner in order to minimize the risk of injury, property damage or loss of life
- Operate the grader and other heavy equipment including front end loaders, dozers, trucks, compactors, snow blowers, grass cutters and other mobile equipment in a safe and efficient way according to all relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Perform daily safety and maintenance checks
- Clean heavy equipment as scheduled and/or required
- Ensure heavy equipment is safely and securely stored
- Advise the Public Works Foreman of any requirements for maintenance or repairs
- Participate in routine maintenance
- Practice workplace safety
- Maintain inventory of equipment
2. Maintain roads and transportation systems in order to ensure safe roadways within the hamlet
- Ensure access to houses, businesses, water supply and waste sites
- Maintain easements
- Perform pre-winter, winter, spring and summer maintenance on roads
- Use equipment for snow removal
- Use equipment to level roads and ensure proper drainage
3. Perform other related duties
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
(The knowledge, skills and attitudes required for satisfactory job performance)
- The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Knowledge of truck and equipment safety
- Knowledge of operation of front end loaders, dozers, graders, compactors, and other pieces of heavy equipment
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and storage procedures
- Knowledge of road construction, and maintenance techniques
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Knowledge of record keeping systems
- Knowledge of equipment cleaning standards and procedures
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Ability to operate mobile and heavy equipment in a safe and responsible manner
- Client service and public relations skills
- Team building skills
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Decision making skills
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Ability to read and write to keep daily records
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
The incumbent must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Deal with the public in a positive, courteous and respectful manner
- The Grader Operator is required to have a Class 1 Drivers License and/or a Heavy Equipment Operators Journeyman Certificate.
(The unavoidable, externally imposed conditions under which the work must be performed and which create hardship for the incumbent including the frequency and duration of occurrence of physical demands, environmental conditions, demands on one’s senses and metal demands.)
(The nature of physical effort leading to physical fatigue)
- The Grader Operator has a physically strenuous and demanding job.
- He/she will be lifting, pulling and managing heavy equipment and objects.
- The Grader Operator will have to work in all weather, and must be prepared for both extreme heat and cold.
- The Grader Operator must ensure that all activities are completed in a safe and efficient way.
(The nature of adverse environmental conditions affecting the incumbent)
- The Grader Operator must work outside in all different weather conditions including extreme cold and extreme heat.
- He/she may at times be exposed to dangerous and/or toxic substances and must take necessary precautions to protect eyes, nose and skin from irritation and infection.
(The nature of demands on the incumbent’s senses)
He/she may at times be exposed to dangerous and/or toxic substances and must take necessary
precautions to protect eyes, nose and skin from irritation and infection.
(Conditions that may lead to mental or emotional fatigue)
The Grader Operator must work independently and is expected to maintain a schedule of work.
Any problems or inconveniences may result in increased stress to complete tasks in a limited time.