HEAD CHEF - Hoedspruit
LIMPOPO NATURE RESERVE
R26,000 – R28,000 ctc
A 10 sleeper Lodge and overseeing a Private Luxury Camp in a Private Nature Reserve - maximum 16 guests.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
You will be an innovative creative who is experienced in running a 5* bush camp / reserve / game lodge kitchen with minimal guidance and to the highest standards. You will be at an advantage if you have also had start-up kitchen experience in this environment and are great at people management.
• Plan, direct, control and coordinate the activities of all kitchen personnel engaged in preparing and cooking food, to ensure an efficient and
• Plan and cost menus in consultation with manager.
• Food preparation.
• Estimate food consumption and requisition food stuffs and kitchen supplies.
• Inspect delivery of perishable and other food items.
• Review menus, analyse recipes, determine food, labour and overhead costs and draft prices on menu items in consultation with Manager.
• Prepare order lists, indicating type of food items, quality and quantity.
• Plan overall food production, considering:
? Probable number of guests
? Supply conditions (availability of raw food)
? Popularity of various dishes
? Recency of menu
? Clientele (local or international)
? Dietary requirements of guests
• Plan and approve utilization of food surpluses.
• Co-operate with manager in locating sources of raw food items, conduct price
comparisons and attempt to reduce food costs at every opportunity.
• Ensure that all food prepared is served according to exceptional standards and
• Controls costs by:
? Minimizing spoilage
? Maintaining adequate inventory of food
? Utilizing food surpluses
? Portion control
• Monitor and help control the kitchen staff (around 7) with a goal to the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene at all times.
• Inspect food preparation and serving areas to ensure observance of safe, hygienic food-handling practices.
• Ensure kitchen, fridges, stores, scullery and refuse collection area as well as utensils are kept in good order, cleaned daily and is always
• Substitute for and/or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
• Estimate expected food consumption; then request for or purchase supplies, or
obtain food from storage.
• Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff and shifts schedules.
• Consult with supervisory/management staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
• Maintenance of food stock, including ordering and stocktaking.
• Maintaining the scullery and refuse area outside the kitchen in good, hygienic order.
Leave Cycle: 6 weeks on - 2 weeks off
Health insurance up to R1,600 company contribution - matched.
Provident Fund: 7.5% contribution
Cooking interviews to be held in Johannesburg then if successful, at The Lodge at the Lodge’s expense.
*CVs to be sent with portfolio of food pictures and references (if available)