IT Infrastructure Manager - Cape TownSalary Negotiable
- Recruiter: DataFin
- Location: Cape Town, Western Cape
- Salary: Salary Negotiable
- Sector: IT & Telecoms Jobs
- Job Type: Permanent
- Date Added: 17 May 2012
- Applications: 0
- AA/EE opportunity?: No
- Benefits: Not Included
Client in Cape Town CBD requires a hands on Infrastructure Manager which is adept in Linux System Administration and can manage a small team of infrastructure resources. The role will include responsibility for the Desktop/Server/LAN of both the office and the production products.
The Infrastructure Manager’s role is to plan, organize, and manage staff and overall operations to ensure the stable operation of the organization’s IT infrastructure. This includes developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas, particularly network infrastructure, server infrastructure, data communications, and telecommunications systems. The Infrastructure Manager will also schedule and direct activities to resolve hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion.
Strategy & Planning
- Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for infrastructure administration and project management.
- Participate in the development of IT strategies in collaboration with the executive team.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and standards in support of all infrastructure procurement and development efforts.
- Establish service level agreements with business units.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Prepare RFPs, bid proposals, contracts, scope of work reports, and other documentation for infrastructure projects and associated efforts.
- Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure infrastructure-specific products and services.
- Assist with the planning and deployment of infrastructure security measures.
- Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all infrastructure systems, including LANs, WANs, Internet, intranet, security, wireless implementations, and so on.
- Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions.
- Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with owners and stakeholders.
- Test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining network infrastructure.
- Test server performance and provide network performance statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining server infrastructure.
- Manage operational costs; conduct near- and long-term financial forecasts for expanded functionality/user base.
- Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, decision-makers, stakeholders, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent infrastructure activities.
- Practice IT asset management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation.
- Direct and administrate a contingent of network analysts and technicians, and where necessary, conduct performance reviews and corrective action.
Formal Education & Certification
- Four-year university degree or college diploma in the field of computer science and/or 5 years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
- 1-3 years’ experience managing and delivering infrastructure design and operational excellence.
- Exceptional knowledge of service and application delivery, as well as successful service level agreement accomplishments.
- 1-3 years successful leadership of an infrastructure team.
- Hands-on experience in troubleshooting hardware.
- Conversant with programming languages such as Bash and Puppet Scripting.
- 1-3 years application support experience with LAMP, MySQL, Puppet, EC2/AWS, Redmine, SVN, Cherokee, ZEN, CentOS/Redhat, Google Apps
- Experience in interpreting the applicability of local laws/regulations to company operations.
- Ability to make sound and logical judgments.
- Demonstrated leadership and personnel/project management skills.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to perform general mathematical calculations for the purpose of creating needs assessments, budgets, and so on.
- Able to conduct research into issues and products as required.
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment and make sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Ability to present ideas in a user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- On-call availability 24/7.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.