Legal Specialist / Attorney / Advocate - Sandton
Salary: R450, 000 – R600, 000 per annum (Negotiable on experience and qualifications)
- Ensure appropriate legal advice and expertise is provided to the organization
- Review the arrangements for outsourced legal advice, identifying opportunities for efficiencies and improvements.
- Writes legal opinions on issues of major significance to the company and/or its subsidiaries.
- Reviews legal opinions prepared by subordinate staff.
- Performs research and analysis required to solve highly complex legal issues.
- Provides direction and supervision to subordinate staff and may serve as advisor to one or more principal business units or subsidiary companies.
- Prepares and presents cases at arbitration and/or administrative proceedings and appears before relevant authorities to represent the interests of the company.
- Plans, organises, directs and controls the work activities of assigned staff and evaluates performance.
- Plans and conducts in-service training for assigned staff.
- Maintain records and prepares reports related to the work.
Ensure that all governance and compliance issued are adhered to within the organization:
- Maintain and update the company’s contracts and advice on any legal issues arising from these.
- Advise on the legal effects on policy proposals (internal and external), preparing responses to consultation documents.
- Assist with ensuring that the company meets applicable statutory and regulatory responsibilities.
Ensure that all contracts entered into within the organization are legally sound and protect the organisation from a legal perspective
- Support the procurement process within the company, assist with the preparation of tender process documents and draft contracts to agreed deadlines.
- Draft/review commercial contracts and formal agreements with suppliers and customers.
- Manage our relationship with specialist external legal firms and practitioners as required.
Management and control of ad hoc projects from a legal perspective
- Project manages reviews/developments in connection with any of the areas identified above.
- Ensure that legal expertise is provided on any projects that have been assigned
- Regular reporting on project issues
- Ensure that any risks to the organization are raised within appropriate time frames and corrective action is taken
Qualification & Skills:
- 4 year Law Degree
- Admission as an attorney or an advocate.
- At least five years post admission experience.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in a corporate legal environment with experience of providing legal advice at Board/Senior Management level, drafting and reviewing commercial contracts, applying principles and instruments of ICT and commercial law and experience of managing complex interdisciplinary programmes of work
Additional Skills Set:
- Working Globally
- Planning and Organising
- Organisational Awareness
- Problem Solving
- Adapting to Change
- Leading Change
- Industry Mastery
- Professional and technical depth
- Customer orientation
- Relationship building
- Excellent presentations and interpersonal skills