PR AND EDITORIAL SPECIALIST - Cape Town
As our PR and editorial specialist, you’ll be responsible for planning, commissioning and writing content for our various editorial platforms, including our corporate website, consumer blogsite, consumer and trade PR platforms, broadcast properties and our regular electronic magazine.
You’ll work closely with our content and design teams to maintain and grow the clients brand presence through our editorial and content marketing initiatives. You’ll ensure we publish high-quality and engaging editorial across a range of topics and audiences. Your days will be spent brainstorming content ideas, writing, editing and proofreading articles, and liaising with our PR agency and external editorial consultants. While you need strong writing skills, your most important role will be to manage and coordinate content delivery – so strong people skills and even stronger organisational skills are key. As ours is a small team, you may sometimes also be called on to write, edit and proofread other marketing and business documents, including business correspondence, client communication and communication for our financial adviser community.
• Understanding and carrying out the clients content strategy and plans, working closely with our social media community manager, internal content writers and external providers;
• Contributing to and maintaining our overarching editorial narrative, brand story and key messages, ensuring consistency, coherence and alignment to our “Love Change” brand philosophy
• Collaborating and liaising with members of the design and production teams to ensure that our editorial content and delivery supports our overall brand goals and objectives;
• Co-creating our weekly content calendar and managing its implementation, working closely with our social media and editorial teams;
• Publishing content on the Change Exchange blogsite (operated on WordPress) and corporate website, including keeping our press room updated;
• Working with the clients PR agency to brainstorm engaging and relevant editorial ideas, writing and commissioning press releases and stories from internal and external content providers;
• Working with the creative and social media team to brainstorm ideas for content campaigns, in line with the strategy and in support of various brand initiatives;
• Proofreading and editing copy in adherence to the clients editorial style guide, ensuring we publish high-quality, error-free copy;
• Writing, editing and proofreading a variety of marketing and business documents.
Please note that this job is not for you if:
• You’re a clockwatcher – ours is a high performance environment and may sometimes demand long hours from you;
• You prefer to work alone or don’t like sharing the credit – this role requires team work and collaboration;
• You don’t enjoy change or surprises. We work in a dynamic space and the people who thrive in our environment are those who are enthusiastic, responsive and adaptable – and able to take the initiative.
Who’ll you report to:
You’ll be based within our marketing division at our head office in Parktown, Johannesburg. You’ll report to our Reputation Executive, who is accountable for all our content, reputation management and PR-related functions.
A tertiary qualification in communications, public relations, journalism or media studies.
At least three years’ experience in writing, editorial and content management.
Your skills and character traits:
• You are passionate about the media and already participate actively in a wide variety of online content and social media platforms;
• You have a clear, up-to-date understanding of print, online and digital media trends – including design, functionality, user needs;
• You’re proficient in using online content publishing platforms such as WordPress, as well as social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram, as well in the use of online and social media analytics tools;
• You have exceptional communication skills, including excellent verbal and written skills and are able to work collaboratively in a team;
• You have strong organisational skills and are skilled at managing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines;
• You combine a high degree of creativity and strategic thinking ability, with exceptional copy writing skills and attention to detail – and you have a great sense of humour;
• You have a genuine interest in people and their stories. The clients content marketing activities centre on life’s key Change Moments – times when people’s financial and personal wellbeing are at stake, such as Starting a Family, Tying the Knot, Making a Home or Landing that Job. You must therefore be able to write about various topics – from the lighthearted to the serious and potentially sensitive – in a warm, professional and engaging manner.