Principal Researcher - JohannesburgR 900000 per annum
- Recruiter: ECP Consulting
- Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng
- Salary: R 900000 per annum
- Sector: Engineering Jobs
- Job Type: Permanent
- Date Added: 24 May 2012
- Applications: 0
- AA/EE opportunity?: No
- Benefits: Not Included
12309MI Principal Researcher Mining
Closing Date Open Ended
About the job:
The Client Centre for Mining Innovation (CMI) unit has a challenging position for a Senior or Principal Researcher at its Johannesburg office. CMI is an innovation and research centre that has as its vision to double the nation’s mineral reserves by 2020 through applied research, while ensuring zero harm to miners. It does this through the development of novel mining techniques; the implementation of sensor-based in-stope real-time risk management; and research into the impact of human factors on mining.
The novel mining team undertakes research in robotics and automation and applied mechanical engineering for mining applications, earth sciences, rock-breaking techniques and support design. It requires a senior professional with more than 10 years’ appropriate experience to join the team, specifically to assist with interdisciplinary research leadership and to draw on existing networks for funding opportunities.
- Participate in the further growth and development of the Novel Mining competency area.
- Undertake a senior role in the group: mentor younger staff, develop project proposals for multi-disciplinary teams; and interact with professionals across the group and within the Company.
- Undertake projects in the incumbent’s own discipline.
- Manage larger projects executed within the group, potentially involving a range of Client and/or external collaborators.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A BSc Eng (Mining/Mechanical/Electrical/) or a BSc (Hons) (Geology/Geophysics/Physics) however, an MSc degree would be preferred.
- Registered with appropriate professional body (ECSA or SACNASP) or the capability to do so if required.
- Ten or more years’ appropriate work experience, at least five years of which being in a mining-related environment.
- High level of numeracy and proven problem-solving ability.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Well-networked into the South African mining landscape, with the ability to secure contract funding.
- Self-driven and motivated to develop independent ideas in both individual and team environments.
- Must be physically fit to work underground if required.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally on occasion.
South African citizenship is necessary as a security clearance is required for this position.
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ANY SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS!!!
SA CITIZENSHIP IS ESSENTIAL.
Employment Equity is applicable