Senior Civil Engineer - Midrand
Experience & Qualifications:
• BSc Civil Engineer PrEng (preferred) with minimum 10 years post grad experience.
• Experience as lead engineer on petrochem/industrial projects.
Responsibilities & Duties
• May perform the function of Lead Civil Engineer on projects or Section Lead Civil Engineer on large or complex projects.
• Responsible for the administration, overall technical direction and co-ordination of all civil / structural engineering and design work on assigned projects.
• Responsible for ensuring that all activities carried out by the Civil Engineering and Design Group personnel, on assigned projects, comply with and support the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Management System.
• Responsible for the assessment of technical and human resources for assigned projects and to ensure that all assigned civil engineering activities are carried out within the agreed manhour budgets, cost budgets and time schedules.
• Responsible for ensuring that all civil / structural engineering work on assigned projects is carried out in accordance with the requirements of the Engineering Professions Act, 2000.
• Reviews and approve project schedules to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
• Assists in the preparation of manhour estimates for Civil Engineering activities for proposals and projects
• Gives guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on civil and structural engineering matters.
• Assigns and coordinates the activities of Civil Engineers reporting to him/her.
• Prepares project related standards and job notes on assigned projects.
• Performs engineering design calculations and prepares design sketches as required on assigned projects.
• Checks and approves calculations and other project deliverables produced by Civil Engineers reporting to him/her.
• Reviews and approves civil and structural drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
• Attends progress meetings and prepares project progress reports.
• Advises the Chief or Principal Civil Engineer of any slippages and their causes and proposed corrective action.
• Advises the Chief or Principal Civil Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
• Identifies circumstances considered likely to result in contract changes and prepares manhour estimates to support contract changes.
• Prepares contract requisitions for civil and structural work on assigned projects.
• Prepares technical evaluations of civil and structural contract enquiries
• Liases with specialist consultants appointed to support the Civil Engineering and Design Group.
• Liases with construction personnel and addresses site queries during construction.
• Carries out periodic inspection of civil and structural work during construction to ensure correct interpretation of designs and issues completion certificates for structural work carried out on assigned projects.
• Provides guidance and training to junior and trainee engineers.
• Keeps abreast of development in the civil and structural engineering field.
• Performs such duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Chief Civil Engineer.