Software Architect - Johannesburg
Software Architect, Johannesburg, Salary Negotiable
Technical knowledge for Software Architect
PROJECT RELATED COMPETENCIES
Solution Development and Delivery
• Experience designing, building, and/or managing complex technical environments and applications.
• Demonstrated ability to manage conflicting needs of stakeholders and development teams.
• Possesses and exudes extraordinary optimism.
• Business acumen.
• Ability to translate business strategy into technical terms and technology strategy into business terms.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate complex architecture problems resulting in appropriate decisions which factor in technical, business and organizational constraints.
• Agile software development values, principles and practices.
• Systems life cycle management.
• Expertise in integration methods.
• Maintains strong architectural expertise and knowledge of current and emerging technologies and products, and evaluates for both general and specific usage.
• Identify trends and patterns from a large amount of business and IS information and demonstrate a broad perspective of the enterprise (the big picture).
• Identify opportunities and implications of the tradeoffs between cost/performance, buy/build, outsourcing, etc.
• Develops and socializes strategic architecture strategies, standards and guidelines.
• Interacts directly with IS functional leaders to shape application and technology direction for defined business process (application) and technology domains (e.g. eCommerce, Order Management, Security, Infrastructure).
• Develops and documents current and target state architecture diagrams and mappings.
• Develops application portfolio and technology strategies, standards and roadmaps.
• Develops cross-domain architecture and integrates common strategies.
• Works with vendors to define product coverage within business process domains and as major application footprint coverage.
• Develop architecture training programs for development teams.
• Strong knowledge of the software development process.
CAREER PATH CORE COMPETENCIES
• Exceptional leadership, mentoring, listening and communication skills.
• Strong ability to influence without having direct authority.
• Assists in the facilitation of team and client meetings.
• Delivers informative, well-organized presentations.
• Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
Architect Specification: 2012
• Advise all areas of the enterprise on architecture concepts and principles.
• Communicates and collaborates with Business Unit Leaders and Corporate Strategy.
• Articulates an IS perspective of key business strategy components.
• Interacts directly with the IS Leadership Team to shape high-level vision and direction.
• Develops and evangelizes the Enterprise IS Strategy.
• Influence IS functional leaders towards strategic architecture strategies, standards and guidelines.
• Interacts directly with IS experts and practitioners to identify architecture challenges and opportunities and resolves architecture issues related to applications, programs and technology.
• Able to reason at various levels of abstraction.
• Understands advanced relational database concepts.
• Demonstrates experience with physical and logical database design.
• Possesses demonstrated work experience with at least one relational database management system.
• Good application of BI technologies in an Enterprise
• Demonstrates expert knowledge C# / Java programming language.
• 10 or more years in the development industry.
• Understands comprehensively the benefits of the various programming languages frameworks and patterns.
• Good knowledge of WPF, WCF and Silverlight.
• Possesses significant knowledge of client server and internet systems architectures.
• Creates well designed, reusable software systems.
• Understands the benefits of the various design methodologies and object oriented environments.
• Good knowledge of Entity framework
• Provides enterprise architecture oversight of application and technology projects and programs.
• Develops macro (high-level) application and technology design architecture for application portfolios and major program initiatives.
• Identifies and articulates consistency and reuse opportunities.
• Ensures alignment and compliance of detailed application and technical designs with architecture strategies, standards and guidelines.
• Provides detailed design endorsement and serves as the technical design authority.
• Ability to integrate disparate concepts into cohesive whole.
• Follows through with commitments and fosters mutual trust with fellow employees.
• Assumes additional responsibility without being asked.
• Encourages fellow team members to make innovative contributions and embrace new ideas.
• Perform technical team lead responsibilities.
• Professional maturity and integrity.
• Proactively initiates, develops, and maintains effective working relationships with team members.
• Recognizes the strengths and weaknesses of each team member.
• Demonstrates the ability to cooperate with a variety of people and achieve results.
• Anticipates client needs before they arise and presents solutions to project management that encompass issues at hand.
• Understands expectations that were set with client and recognizes when issues/events may affect delivery.
• Obtain trust relationship with clients with regards to technical advice.
• Proactively seeks opportunities to broaden and deepen knowledge base and proficiencies.
• Shares acquired skills with team members through formal and informal channels.
• Encourages more junior employees to take responsibility for their development within the company.
• Actively contributes and lead internal programs.
• Assist with interviewing process of new employees
? Degree plus Honours qualification pref
Essential attributes and technologies
? 10 yrs + of IT experience