Tunnel Component Leader - Pretoria
The water project entails the design and construction of a major water supply scheme including a large dam; large diameter conveyance tunnel; and potentially a hydro power component and associated high voltage transmission system. There will be both significant social (e.g., resettlement) and environmental issues on this project.
- In general, ensuring overall compliance with the Program Manager’s (PgM) contract with the client as it relates to all tunnel issues including budget, scope, schedule, quality and reporting requirements on the assignment
- Leadership of the tunnel component of the assignment
- Regular reporting to the Team Leader, the client, Panel of Experts and other stakeholders as required by the client and PgM
- Adherence to PgM’s quality management program
- Identify and initiate remedial actions to avoid or mitigate implementation delays, cost overruns, poor quality, and unmitigated impacts
- Lead the development of the Terms of Reference and tender documents to procure tunnel design (Engineer) services on behalf of the client, and oversee all aspects of the Engineer’s work.
- Assist in the development of contracting strategy for tunnel construction; oversee procurement of tunnel contractor(s); review Contractors’ work programs and method statements recommended for approval by the Engineer to ensure: conformance with Project requirements; adequacy of management and organizational arrangements and safety programs; sufficiency of personnel and equipment resources and other facilities; and adequacy of quality assurance and quality control procedures.
- Monitor and report on Contractor compliance with their contract;
- Participate and/or oversee as appropriate start-up, commissioning, and training of personnel with respect to tunnel operation and maintenance.
- Participate in meetings with the client, company project team (Team)
- Degrees: Undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering is a minimum and an advanced degree is preferred
- Registered Engineer, Chartered Engineer, Professional Engineer or equivalent
- Relevant leadership and management experience on large projects (>$100M)
- 15+ years experience in design, contracting and construction of large tunnel projects in accordance with international standards (e.g., FIDIC) and use of tunnel boring machinery. Experience in developing countries, including Sub-Saharan Africa, is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English, including the ability to prepare reports, presentations and briefing materials
- Ability to work as part of a high-performing and multi-disciplinary team, often operating under tight deadlines and timetables;