Communications Manager - Cape Town
Cape Town- Southern Suburbs
Ilifa Labantwana works to secure an equal start for all children living in South Africa, through universal access to quality Early Childhood Development (ECD) services.
They need a Communication Manager who will head up all internal and external communication activities, with the assistance of a communication co-ordinator; and oversee and provide support to the campaign manager and the campaign social media coordinator.
The key job activities are:
• Producing communication products including PowerPoint presentations, reports, toolkits, posters, infographics, opinion pieces, press
releases, newsletters, videos, photography, digital content (website copy, social media posts). Production responsibilities include research,
fact-checking, writing, editing, proofreading, basic graphic design and layout. Production process may be supported by external service
providers such as photographers, videographers, copyeditors, web designers, desktop publishers etc. It is the responsibility of the
communication manager to source, brief and manage external service providers.
• Dissemination of communication products physically, digitally, via paid promotion on social media, in line with a communication plan that
integrates all appropriate channel. This may involve customising content for particular channels.
• Oversee social media content, community management, and paid promotion (Facebook and Twitter).
• Ensuring that all communications are aligned to written and visual style guide.
• Respond to all queries from the public, ensuring that the public perception is carefully managed and that members of the public are directed
towards relevant Ilifa or sector resources.
• Managing media relations, including outreach, preparing responses to media questions, and preparing staff for interviews.
• Monitor media mentions of the organisation and other major industry events/news, keeping team up to date.
• Managing the communication budget.
• Managing the production of a weekly radio show on 11 public radio stations, which includes liaising with the winners of a monthly cash
Skills and qualifications:
• A degree or diploma in journalism, languages, or related field.
• Outstanding English copy editing, proofreading and copywriting skills.
• At least five years’ experience as a journalist, copy editor, copywriter, community manager or content manager.
• Proven ability to combine creativity and critical thinking to construct compelling stories using well-presented data in various formats.
• Excellent communication and time management skills.
• Confidence in presenting.
• An extremely good eye for detail.
• Proven experience working across all media platforms.
• Passion for education, civil society and advocacy.
• Skills in interpreting data, framing and presenting arguments.
• Excellent knowledge of the SA media landscape including radio, outdoor, TV and print.