Digital Lifestyle Editor - Johannesburg
more than 14 days ago
A media and publishing company in Johannesburg has a vacancy for a DIGITAL LIFESTYLE EDITOR.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Digital Lifestyle Editor needs to be smart, organised and creative. The person should be on top of the latest lifestyle trends.
The ideal candidate must have familiarity with and big ideas on a wide range of lifestyle subjects, including travel, food, health, fashion, beauty, home/interiors, gadgets and parenting.
The person will also manage entertainment and celeb content and the writers who focus on them, as this is a major driver of traffic and audience engagement for the site.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Journalism.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in mainstream and online journalism.
• Suitable experience and proven track record in managing an online Lifestyle team
• Established network of contacts.
• Good talent for writing and copy tasting.
• Manage and ensure up to date, accurate and relevant content for the lifestyle pillars.
• Develop content plans for all lifestyle pillars.
• Manage, train, mentor and coach lifestyle reporters, assigning and editing lifestyle and entertainment content in a fast-paced digital environment.
• Oversee the writing and editing of scripts for video.
• Pitch and assign big story ideas.
• Create and package stories in exciting ways and work at a fast pace.
• Develop social media strategies for lifestyle categories.
• Produce high-quality native content for advertisers and readers.
• Lead the lifestyle digital department to excellence by monitoring website performance, traffic and engagement and constantly working towards improvement.
• Facilitate collaboration between print and online.
• Attend news and digital meetings.
• Relationship building and networking.
• Generation of ideas and proposals for new stories.
• Staying up to date with privacy, contempt and defamation laws.
• Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices.
• In consultation with the Data Analyst, monitor visitor statistics to determine what is causing spikes.
• Monitor analytics.
• Utilise analytics to maximise all stories and articles published on the website.
• Adhere to Google algorithm requirements and write with SEO and Google search in mind.
• Study and adhere to the company’s style guide.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
• Fully proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
• Excellent communication skills.
• Relationship-building skills.
• Excellent people management skills
• Excellent organisational skills.
• Good administrative skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Deadline driven.
• High degree of professional journalistic conduct.
• Team player.
• Availability to work overtime and on weekends.
• Ability to work speedily but accurately.
• Lifestyle news awareness.
• Valid driver’s licence
• Own reliable vehicle
• Solid references
• No criminal record
Salary is negotiable.
Please apply with CV in MS Word, stating current salary and availability.