Financial Accounting and Reporting - Centurion
Form part of the financial accounting & reporting team.
Oversee technical accounting standards – both new and existing accounting standards.
Proactive implementation of new accounting standards applicable to the Bank.
Assist with the year-end external audit function.
Assist with the preparation of all company AFS and glossies.
Reporting and consolidations:
Take care of all financial control reporting requirements.
Oversee the consolidations function of the Bank - Bidvest Financial Services.
Apply consolidation knowledge to future acquisitions.
Annual Financial Statements:
Preparation & completion of AFS, incl:
• All entity AFS (including subsidiaries);
• Bidvest Bank glossies;
• Assist with external audit;
• Apply new IFRS statements / pronouncements to AFS;
• Updated accounting policies;
• Completion within deadlines;
• Detailed review on all AFS before submission to FM and all review comments (FM /audit) completed accurately first time to avoid delays
Technical IFRS and “acquisitions”:
Assist with all technical accounting aspects of the Bank:
• Understand the impact of new IFRS statements and pronouncements on the Bank;
• Treatment of all accounting aspects in line with accounting policies;
• Technical accounting of all products in line with IFRS;
• Proactively manage changes in accounting policy where required;
• Technical accounting opinions on new products, projects;
• Technical accounting treatment to new acquisitions (IFRS3, IFRS10).
Management reporting pack:
Preparation of all group reporting including:
• Prepare & review all reporting prior to final review by FM (including self -review if document is self-prepared);
• All numbers to be accurate and comparable to prior year/prior month;
• Recon internal to external reports for accuracy where applicable;
Preparation and self-validation of monthly pack including:
• Accounting and disclosure in line with IFRS & AFS;
• Enhance disclosure if required.
Year-end reporting pack:
Validation of year end accounting and tax pack:
• Address pack limitations for the Bank in line with IFRS & AFS;
• Proactively address limitations with Group;
• Preparation and completion of the year end pack for submission to the bank's Group.
Preparation of the monthly flash reporting process including:
• Prepare internal & external flash formats;
• Understand and assist with underlying composition of monthly reporting numbers;
• Submit within WD3 deadlines;
• WD3 internal vs external flash recon for accuracy;
• Recon of Bidvest Group flash numbers prior to submission;
• Prepare flash commentary for submission by 8th each month.
Regulatory reporting link:
Build relationships with the regulatory reporting department and provide reporting support from financial control related requirements in terms of regulatory reporting.
Audit committee & other relevant reporting:
Preparation of the necessary financial reports as required for the committee meetings each quarter.
Manage the Group's expectations & relationship:
Manage the relationship between the Group and thet Bank in respect of reporting – there should be no conflict arising:
• manage expectations;
• maintain high standard and good working relationship;
• Look for opportunity to improve processes if/where required;
• proactively look to submit information early and before deadlines (and nothing to be submitted late);
• regular meetings;
• information submitted to be accurate, detailed, informative (no errors or comebacks).
Assist with full external audit & year end function including:
• Ensure internal / external audit requirements are met by business units within deadlines;
• Build finance relationship with external audit;
• Regular interaction with external auditors (before and during audit) to ensure expectations are met;
• Proactive involvement with the process to ensure efficient and cost-effective audit and only positive feedback from auditors;
• Accurate year end accounts and tax packs (requires detailed review and understanding of all numbers/workings);
• All internal and external deadlines met.
Training and development:
Provide training & development to finance staff – where applicable.
Provide environment where employees can apply what they have learned.
Develop training and encourage career advancement.
Take ownership for driving own career development.
Achievement of objectives set out in personal development plan.
Culture and leadership:
Positively contribute to overall culture the department.
Drive / implement the Bank’s vision as required.
Maintain inter-personal relationships. Willingness to assist others & sharing knowledge.
Maintain a positive attitude.
Proficient in at least English – Speak, Read and Write. Motivate staff.
Internal & external audit reports:
Co-ordinate completion and implementation of audit reports in respect of finance:
• Drive businesses throughout the Bank to implement audit findings timeously;
• Regular follow up to ensure follow up comments are low risk.
To assist the Financial Manager with ad hoc tasks as required.
Standard 8AM to 5PM with some overtime as and when needed.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Ability to perform duties with limited supervision
• Deadline orientated with attention to detail
• Hands-on, proactive approach
• Working knowledge of Accounting Software will be advantageous
• Must pay keen attention to detail.
• Should be a team player.
• Assertive individual who will be able to implement new reporting controls and procedures as required.
• Ability to work well and maintain focus under pressure.
• Honesty, trustworthiness and high ethics are non-negotiable.
• Good communication skills and must be able to interact with staff at all levels within the Bank (from Senior management to junior level).
• Assertive, self-starter, motivated.
• Positive, energetic individual, ability to engage with direct reports and add value to processes.
• Take ownership for tasks and see them through to completion.
• Ability to identify opportunities for process efficiencies and drive the process to completion.
• Should have a broad knowledge of Banking and banking related products.
• Should have a keen interest for financial reporting, technical accounting and financial control.
• Strong technical accounting background is advantageous.
• Prior experience in consolidations advantageous.
• Will be reporting to the Financial Accounting and Reporting Manager.
• The position can present good growth prospects within the organisation into the future
• Prior experience with CaseWare would be advantageous
• Prior experience with Great Plaines would be advantageous
• Qualification: A bachelor's degree; a graduate degree is recommended.
1-5 years relevant experience within a similar role in a Bank (group finance or financial control environment).