HEAD CHEF - Cedarberg
R20,000 – R25,000 CTC (includes medical aid and provident fund)
Opened in 2018, the property is a luxury wilderness lodge, set in the stunning area of the Cederberg Mountains outside Clanwilliam. The property is marketed for the active, health and wellness individual. There are 9 rooms accommodating a maximum of 25 guests.
The styling of the lodge is, luxurious ‘Modern African Farmhouse’ creating a warm and inviting interior yet light and airy. The lodge caters for a guest who would like to explore the surroundings by hiking, mountain biking or meandering to the wineries in the area taking in the views.
The Kitchen Gardens are being developed which will supply the kitchen with an abundance of fresh locally grown herbs and greens.
The ideal Head Chef will be inspired by the beautiful surroundings and abundance of local produce to create a culinary experience equal to the breath-taking views. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity build on the opening Chef’s creative and innovative approach to cooking with a wonderful kitchen boasting all new equipment – this is a property at which to make your mark!
• Creative, delicious food, within group standard
• A “home-made” approach to stock: butters, gravies, pastries, etc.
• Passion for South African flavours, yet understanding international food preferences
• To be innovative and able to work unsupervised
• Flexible and able to adapt to occupancy changes
• Strict food costs
• Incorporating local suppliers and flavours.
• Positive interacting with all staff
• Good Communication with Managers
• Good discipline and fair treatment: Chef to be a Role Model
• Good waste management skills
• Responsible for up-skilling chefs, implementing & maintaining kitchen standards
• Working with group consultants to maintain group identity, and create lodge signature in food styling
• Management of all stock control, stock rotation, orders & stock takes at lodge
• Support and stand in for General Managers when not on site.
• Creative menu planning and versatile cooking skills
• Ability to make as much from scratch as possible for authentic flavours, cost reduction and local produce use
• Great attention to detail
• Able to communicate effectively with staff, supplier and guests
• Good Wine knowledge
• Basic knowledge of HR and South African labour law
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED (QUALIFICATIONS OR TRAINING PROGRAMS)
• At least 3 to 4 years’ relevant experience
• 4/5-star kitchen experience
• Passion for creating fabulous food
• A formal or tertiary food qualification
• Vacancy to be taken up in June 2019.
• Live-in position with meals.
• Shifts: one / off to be discussed – a fully-trained Sous Chef will be on relief
• Full reference checks will be conducted; where possible please provide references with your CV which will be followed up and verified.