Head of Supply Chain - Cape Town
The Head of Supply Chain will be a key role player in fulfilling the company’s strategic mission of commercializing its vaccine manufacturing capability. Being the only one of its kind in South Africa, Biovac strives to respond to the vaccine needs of the developing countries, specifically South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa.
This is a particularly exciting time for the company as it continues to grow, strengthen and build on its success and further develop its capabilities, products, services and market diversification.
The Key Performance Areas for this position include:
• Align departmental focus areas and outputs to the business’s objectives.
• Conduct business, cross functional and departmental planning and execute activities within own scope of accountability.
• Adequate capacity planning and performance delivery in line with strategic, tactical and operational plans.
• Role profiling, goal setting and performance management of managers and staff within the department.
• Develop and implement a knowledge management infrastructure within the department to ensure Intellectual Property is effectively maintained.
• Growth, succession & retention of departmental talent.
• Accountability for own and team's personal and professional learning & development to ensure technical and leadership bench strength within the department.
• Ensure accurate and documented delegation of ongoing operational activities in the event of key staff members’ absence in line with the related policies and SOP’s.
• Conduct effective employee relations in accordance with labour legislation, company policies and procedures and address any performance and conduct concerns and risks timeously.
• Ensure that Occupational and other risks related to roles within the department are defined and mitigated
• Shared accountability for achieving the site’s tactical plans and mitigation of any risk to the site operation including workflow, ethics, quality, finances, regulatory compliance and other material company requirements.
• Identify and continuously present key opportunities and synergies that will improve and/ or expand the operation within own and/ or other departments.
• Lead or participate in departmental and/ or site wide projects.
• Monitoring & reporting on key operations, critical numbers and key performance indicators that impacts the business’s short, medium and long term objectives.
• Participate with the site management team in proactively mitigating risks and find solutions where possible.
• Effective and comprehensive costing, budgeting and expense management, taking all overlapping site activities into consideration.
• Lead own departments transition into commercial operations and mind-set as well as instituting this across site with regards to managing efficiencies, reducing wastage and contributing to overall profitability.
• Responsible to develop and maintain a 3 year rolling plan to effectively operationalise the company strategy as defined by Biovac’s board and executive team.
• Oversee the 18 month rolling plan as developed and maintained by section heads.
• Ensure effective planning for the Supply Chain department including production and resources.
• Ensure inventory levels are forecasted, set and managed.
• Ensure that stock for local and export markets is obtained timeously and at the correct specifications.
• Accountable for materials management and warehousing.
• Monitor stock levels to ensure contractual obligations with regards to supply is maintained.
• Ensure procurement of all goods and services required is carried out in accordance with agreed internal policies and external legislature.
• Relationship management of key international and local suppliers and support to the Sales team.
• Designation and monitoring of storage conditions for materials and products, protection of products and materials against spoilage and deterioration.
• Check the maintenance of the department, premises and equipment and ensure optimal operating at all time.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
? Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Logistics, Microbiology/ Biotechnology, Pharmacy or equivalent.
? Recognition is given to Prior Learning and practical experience.
? At least 8 years’ experience in Supply Chain Management.
? At least 3 years’ experience at middle to senior management level.
? Operational experience within a pharmaceutical manufacturing facility
? Experience in quality and regulatory compliance within a cGMP facility.
? Business and operational planning including experience with an ERP system
? Experience in having faced successfully local and/ or international quality audits.
? Participation in developing a departmental budget and monitoring expenditures for multiple projects & funding sources
- Working knowledge of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing related legislation.
- Experience in aseptic (sterile) manufacturing.
- Experience in general business management within a commercial environment.
- Experience with SAP
- Program and project management
Technical/ Functional Competencies required to perform this role:
? Processes Development and Review.
? Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power point and Project.
? Metric & KPI development.
? Technical Report Writing.
? Operational Costing & Budgeting.
? Statistical Literacy.
? Coaching & Mentoring of peers & staff.
? Excellent understanding and working knowledge of Supply Chain and systems.
? Excellent understanding and use an ERP system (SAP advantageous)
? Detailed knowledge of pharmaceutical industry standards and guidelines in GMP, Quality and Supply Chain.
? Risk Assessment and execution
? Documentation Management.
? Inventory Management.
? Environmental, Health & Safety Management
? Statistical Trending & Data Analysis.
? Review & Auditing Skills
? cGMP vaccine manufacturing- quality and regulatory compliance knowledge, i.e. SAHPRA and WHO
? Total Quality Management & Quality Management Systems
? Risk Assessment and execution
? Data development, trending & reporting
Generic Competencies required to perform this role:
- Planning, Organising, Execution & Delegation
- Strategic & Holistic Thinking
- Creative Problem Solving & Innovation Skills
- Sustainable Stakeholder Management
- Financial Acumen
- Commercial Awareness
- Action & Results Oriented
- Assertive & Resilient
- Adaptable in Responding to change
- Negotiation and influencing skills
- Proactive in mitigating risk
- Clear, timely and effective communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Analytical Ability
- Maintain confidentiality and trust
- Ethical leadership
All positions will be filled in accordance with our Employment Equity policy as The Biovac Institute is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress. We encourage those living with disabilities to apply.