Junior Agronomist - Hermanus
more than 14 days ago
04-02-2022 9:29:27 AM
Reference: DB 6315
Our client is recruiting an experienced, self-motivated and target driven Junior Grower (Agronomist) for a Blueberry test plot just outside Hermanus, Western Cape. The position will report to the Lead Agronomist.
This position will be expected to run a blueberry test plot responsible for the execution of basic irrigation and harvesting practices. The position will be expected to provide agronomic support to the Lead Agronomist and other blueberry growers of the company whilst staying ahead with all global technical improvement and transferring knowledge back to the growers.
* Run a blueberry test plot executing basic irrigation and harvesting practices
* Head up basic forecasting model for identified blueberry growers
* Plan, action, orientate and monitor labour to carry out tasks within set deadlines to maintain high levels of production and quality
* Procurement of all material and equipment within set deadlines to ensure uninterrupted services
* Establish and action maintenance plan of all equipment to ensure uninterrupted services
* Plan, coordinate, monitor and adjust husbandry strategy per crop per field as indicated by plant growth
* Determine applicable cropping system per day, per crop
* Tunnel ops and maintenance according to strategic plan established per crop per field to ensure climate control
* Action tunnel management activities according to climatic changes (venting/deventing)
* Monitor fields and develop appropriate spray programme to minimize pest infestations
* Procure services within relevant department to meet specific deadlines and outcomes
* Implementation of biological pest and disease control measures
* Develop, implement and monitor effective pollination strategy per field per crop, ensure safety standards are adhered to.
* Develop, implement and monitor effective field maintenance programme per field per crop resulting in neat blocks
* Tertiary: B.Sc/M.Sc Agricultural/Horticultural diploma/Degree
* Good understanding, experience and knowledge of good agronomic practices – young energetic person.
* Between 1-3 years’ experience in agronomy, technical advisory, plant nutrition, fertigation and crop protection
* Broad technical knowledge of crops, products and farming practices.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
* Computer literacy is essential with good working knowledge of Microsoft packages and excellent report writing skills
* Driving licence with own transport ?