Junior Naval Architect - Cape Town
WEST REGION: CAPE TOWN OFFICE
The above position will report to Naval Architect
To scrutinize and approve ship stability information submitted by ship owners, to assign or check calculations to determine statutory freeboards in accordance with legislation, to calculate or check calculations to determine a ship tonnage in accordance with legislation and conventions, to generate policies by way of marine notices, circulars and provide guidance to surveyors by way of guidance notes and instructions.
1. Assist in registration & licensing of ship
• Assisting registrar in process of registering and surveyor in process of licencing the vessel, by determining their principal dimensions and tonnage as well as defining their technical specification/ characteristics.
2. Assist with Naval Architecture
• Vessel plan approval
• Load lines
3. Legislation/ Regulations
• Assist in ensuring compliance with legislation
• Legislation generation
• Archiving and knowledge management
5. Causality investigations
• Assist surveyors with investigation into casualties of a specific technical nature where a naval architectural input is required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• Grade 12 with English, Maths and Science
• Degree in Engineering (Naval Architecture) or Engineering (Mechanical)
• 2 years’ related experience
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
• Survey/ Ship Register knowledge
• Knowledge of Naval Architecture systems
• Knowledge of SAMSA Policies and Procedures
• Knowledge of IMO rules and different Classification Society rules
• Good team player with the ability to work and interact at senior levels.
• High levels of judgement and ethical standards.
• Must have experience in people and project teams
• Must be attentive to detail and accurate.
• Competent in Microsoft applications
• The ability to work under pressure.
• Manage confidential information