Laboratory Technologist - Pretoria
The area of focus for this position will be performing urine drugs of abuse screening and confirmation testing via LC/MS technology.
The position involves performing various tasks relating to analysis of samples: from sample reception and inspection, sample registration, performing sample preparation, conducting chemical analysis as per company test services scope and competencies- to analysis of results, stock control and assisting the Quality Manager with maintenance of the quality management system.
1. Follow the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test result.
2. Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens.
3. Analyze specimens using approved testing procedures.
4. Review test results.
5. Follow safety procedures as described in their respective guidelines.
6. Adhere to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and all maintenance performed.
7. Follow the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance.
8. Identify problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results, correct the problems encountered or immediately notify the senior technologist or supervisor.
9. Document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
10. If applicable, answer questions from customers or other lab personnel.
11. Maintain complete records of all testing performed on-site.
12. Maintain general appearance of the laboratory.
13. Make sure reagents/test kits have received dates, expiration dates, and if applicable opened dates.
14. Review/train on new procedures.
15. Attend laboratory meetings and any additional training/educational meetings.
16. Participate in all applicable safety training sessions.
17. Assist with method validations and/or verifications.
18. Assist with new method development or current method optimisations.
19. Perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
Qualifications, Training, and skill requirements
B.Tech / ND in Laboratory / Medical Technology or related scientific disciplines
Registration with HPCSA as a Medical Technologist (Clinical Pathology discipline is preferred
At least 2 years’ experience in a laboratory or medical setting.
LC-MS/MS experience working with LC/MS instrumentation is a requirement.
Experience reviewing chromatographic data preferred
Prior toxicology experience and familiarity with drug metabolism preferred
Previous Molecular Biology experience will be beneficial
Strong analytical and documentation skills
Strong analytical problem-solving skills
Able and willing to maintain strict level of confidentiality regarding laboratory results and records
Effective communication skills, both verbally and in writing
Ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion
Acceptable Computer skills
Previous experience in computer software applications
Exceptional attention to detail and a good level of concentration
Salary - Market Related
If you have not heard from us within 14 working days, please deem your application as unsuccessful.