Mechanical Engineer - Edenvale
Main function of the Job
Data Center Projects
• Collaborate with the data center team to understand, develop and approve the data center mechanical system designs for new data center construction and system enhancement projects.
• Designs will include DX Cooling systems, chilled water systems, direct and indirect free cooling systems.
• Review and approve basis of design documents, capacity calculations and mechanical schematics.
• Review and approve all commissioning and system testing strategies for each project.
• Constant enhancement of mechanical systems to ensure high level of efficiency.
• Infrastructure design, implementation and testing to deliver a concurrently maintainable, cost effective solution supporting 99.999% electrical up-time and 99.99% mechanical up-time.
• Conduct working methods to ensure all SLA and MSA’s are achieved.
• Ensure all parts of the designs can be monitored and connected back to the BMS system for overall system monitoring and management.
• Review, approve and provide all hand over documentation to the Data Center operations team.
Data Center Operations
• Review and approve all mechanical maintenance procedures.
• Create safe work procedures for all mechanical maintenance to be done on all systems.
• Ensure applicable planned and corrective maintenance is managed in accordance to ensure customer MSA’s and SLA’s are achieved.
• Ensure all maintenance and systems comply with local legislation and standards.
• Provide training to the operational team on the design and operation principles of the mechanical systems.
• Maintain compliance in accordance to all relative policies and procedures
• Support the HR department in achieving the organization developmental plan deliverables within agreed timelines
• Meet agreed inter-departmental OLA (Operational Level Agreement)
• H&S monitoring and corrective action to meet statutory compliance, SLAs and good business practice
• Implement company and departmental policies, processes and work instructions as per the agreed quality and timeline/ RFS
Critical System Management
• Conduct working methods to maintain agreed PUE levels
• Task finalization and report accurately, as per agreed format, quality and within the agreed timelines
• Provide national technical support to operational data centers
Data Center Ethics
• Ensure compliance is maintained incorporating industry best practices
• National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering or 5 years industry experience with proven track record.
• Minimum 5 years relevant design experience.
• Minimum 5 years relevant plant operation experience.
• Extensive knowledge on Data Center environments and critical infrastructure systems.
• Extensive data center design knowledge.
• Data center qualification will be an advantage.
Salary 600 – 800K CTC
• Excellent technical design and calculation abilities.
• Knowledge of electrical, control, fire and BMS systems will be an advantage.
• Advanced AutoCAD, Revit and 3D modelling skills will be an advantage
• Effective communication skills, active listener – ability to understand requirements
• Proactive problem solver, perform rapid and accurate assessments
• Ability to work independently, as well as being a positive team player
• Conducts self professionally, exhibits elevated levels of tolerance and patience
• Responsible for continued learning and self-development
• Quick response to potentially critical situations
• Trouble shoot systems and components to identify root causes of failures
• Implement corrective actions promptly to mitigate the negative effects of system changes
• Advance Microsoft Office skills