Senior Digital Journalist - Johannesburg
more than 14 days ago
VACANCY – SENIOR DIGITAL JOURNALIST
A publishing company in Johannesburg has a vacancy for a Senior Digital Journalist reporting to the Digital News Editor.
Purpose of the Job:
To cover news events assigned by the Digital News Editor and to produce accurate and well-written stories daily for the publication.
• Plan and write fresh, accurate copy to deadline for all platforms in co-operation with the Digital News Editor and Editor.
• Researching of articles.
• Verifying statements and facts.
• Gathering of news from a variety of reliable sources.
• Interviewing sources.
• Generation of ideas and proposals for new stories.
• Covering important events/issues timeously.
• Staying up to date with privacy, contempt and defamation laws.
• Liaising with editors, sub-editors, design and photographers.
• Establishing and maintaining a network of contacts.
• Adhere to Code of Ethics and Editorial Standards and Practices.
• Monitor social media to pick up news leads and story ideas.
• Upload, publish and promote stories to the website and online.
• Assist with online administrative functions as directed.
• Create, publish and promote multimedia content.
• Guide, train and coach junior staff members.
• Monitor analytics constantly.
• Utilise analytics to maximise all stories and articles published on the company’s website
• Adhere to Google algorithm requirements and write with SEO and Google search in mind.
• Study and adhere to company policies.
Core Competencies Required:
• Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Journalism.
• Minimum 5 years’ mainstream journalism experience.
• Talent for writing, coupled with a keen interest in breaking news and current affairs.
• Established network of political contacts.
• Newsroom and current affairs writing experience.
• MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook.
• Communication skills.
• Relationship-building skills.
• Ability to work under pressure.
• Deadline driven.
• High degree of professional journalistic conduct.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team.
• Availability to work overtime and on weekends.
• Ability to work speedily but accurately.
• Valid driver’s license
• Own reliable vehicle
Salary negotiable depending on experience
Apply with CV in MS Word, stating current salary and availability.