Senior Rugby Reporter - Johannesburg
more than 14 days ago
VACANCY: SENIOR RUGBY REPORTER
A publishing company in Johannesburg has an urgent vacancy for a Senior Rugby Reporter, within the editorial department, reporting to the Head of Sport.
The position will require the candidate to work for print and digital platforms and will involve sub-editing and content-loading administrative tasks.
Purpose of the job:
To cover sports events assigned by the Sports Editor and Head of Sport and to write accurate and well-written sports stories for daily publication in the sports pages and up-to-the minute content across all digital platforms.
• Production of accurate and well-written sports (rugby) copy for both the daily newspaper and the website.
• Establishing and maintaining a following on Twitter.
• Gathering of news from a variety of reliable sources.
• Generation of ideas and proposals for new stories.
• Covering important events/issues timeously.
• Establishing a network of contacts.
• Liaising with photographers about specific events.
• Contribute on the production side of both print and digital.
• Maintaining of good relationship with colleagues.
• Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma in Journalism.
• Wide knowledge and passion for sport, in particular sound knowledge of rugby.
• 3 years’ relevant experience in a similar position.
• MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Outlook.
• Excellent people and relationship-building skills.
• Knowledge and understanding of digital publishing platform WordPress or similar platform.
• Ability to work accurately and efficiently.
• Excellent communication skills and an ability to work individually on a project or in a team environment.
• Deadline driven.
• Innovative and independent.
• High degree of professional Journalistic conduct.
• Proven journalistic track record.
• Knowledge of media and publishing law
• Excellent writing skills and ability to create editorial and multimedia content.
• Valid driver’s licence.
• Own reliable vehicle.
• Solid references.
• Required to work on weekends, public holidays and nights.
Salary is negotiable.
Please apply with CV in MS Word.