Senior Technical Advisor - Johannesburg
Type of Business:
R85, 000 – R100, 000
Our Client, an NGO in the Health Sector, is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor M&E will lead the NGO’s data collection efforts by providing guidance and tools to ensure that quality data are collected and reported in an efficient and effective manner. The Advisor will guide and mentor the NGO’s M&E staff and liaise with Department of Health (DoH) counterparts to improve information management oversight, driving continuous quality improvement within data management for reporting.
The Senior Technical Advisor M&E will provide technical guidance on the design, development and implementation of the NGO’s M&E plan, build capacity at all program levels to develop, manage and operationalize M&E systems and plans that are aligned to program strategy, to allow for quality reporting and dissemination. The Senior Technical Advisor M&E will provide guidance and tools to ensure high quality and accurate data are collected for analysis and reporting purposes; assist in monitoring and reporting against the NGO’s projects’ performance indicators, key outputs and results; develop methods and milestones to monitor the project’s progress towards its goals, and; contribute to program strategy to ensure that activities and assignments are carried out as planned and the program objectives are being achieved.
Quality Data Collection and Tools
• Define data collection methods and sources for each programme indicator.
• Define a data collection schedule in accordance with programme management needs.
• Ensure that data flow and internal reporting requirements are defined, and clear guidelines, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and other tools are in place for data collection, aggregation and reporting.
• Standardize paper tools, electronic systems (DOH & Programme) and SOPs to ensure they are harmonized across all sites for data collection, processing and analysis.
• Develop tools that support data use within programmes.
• Work closely with the NGO’s M&E staff seconded to DoH to align Anova data collection processes and tools with DoH
Data Quality Assurance
• Ensure appropriate data quality assurance systems, measures and tools are in place and are monitored at all levels.
• Identify shortcomings in the processes and remedy these by developing protocols to ensure regular, accurate data collection and reporting and continually improve them for efficiency.
• Monitor adherence to reporting timelines as well as quality of data reported.
• Work closely with the Public Health and the Data/Reporting Teams to ensure that all programme data are reported according to the required quality standards and timelines
• Build capacity and provide supportive supervision for the NGO and DOH M&E staff on data collection and management, reporting processes, systematic use of defined tools and M&E.
• Develop training curricula and provide training for M&E staff.
• Build capacity of the programme teams to use data in a strategic manner to inform programme decision making.
• Report regularly to senior management on data collection and quality, adherence to standards and timelines, and on reports, processes and systems.
• Support M&E teams to set performance objectives and provide mentoring and coaching.
• Hold regular meetings with the M&E managers and M&E staff seconded to DOH to ensure alignment across the programme.
• Creating a cohesive team environment through fostering open communication and providing constructive feedback.
• Conduct visits to field sites to provide training, technical assistance and support, as well as to ensure that M&E tools are understood and being used correctly and effectively.
• Identify professional development opportunities for M&E staff focusing on knowledge and skills related to monitoring, evaluation and learning.
• Manage and supervise teams of technical experts, support staff, and/or consultants.
Skills and Qualifications:
• A Master’s degree in management, monitoring and evaluation, analytics or a related field is required.
• Minimum of eight years of progressively responsible work experience in designing, establishing, and managing monitoring and evaluation systems, ensuring data quality, and managing data-intensive, performance-based programmes, preferably large-scale PEPFAR-funded programmes.
• Minimum of six years’ experience focused on operationalising performance indicators and, preferably, working within/extracting data from DATIM, TIER.Net, PHCIS, etc.
• Experience in leading and motivating a team composed of several interdisciplinary technical experts, and to be adept at managing competing deadlines and priorities.
• Ability to work across business units and capture and disseminate lessons learned to ensure the continual improvement of data collection processes and outputs.
• Ability to portray complex data sets in easy-to-understand formats including visualisations.
• Working knowledge of South Africa’s health information systems and monitoring and evaluation processes as they relate to data collection for performance-based reporting on the National Strategic Plan.
• Well-organized with an ability to handle a large workload, deliver on short deadlines and work independently.
• Excellent written and communication skills in English.