Workshop Manager - Randburg
Strijdom Park, Randburg
Type of Business:
Mechanical Engineering Services
R 25 000 to R 35 000pm
This position will manage and lead a team of people in allocating workload and managing the day to day operations in the workshop. It requires the job holder to co-ordinate resources and liaise with internal and external key contacts to ensure work is delivered on time and to a quality standard.
• Responsible for job allocation and job flow in the workshop including job scheduling and labour allocation for day to day operations.
• Co-ordinate resources, (operational and human) schedules and activities to effectively manage jobs.
• Ensure supplies are ordered for each job.
• Assist with quoting, project management, materials purchasing and quality checks.
• Ensure correct job numbers are used and that time records are correct.
• Provide oversight and check job estimates.
• Manage inward goods, checking quantities, dispatching goods and receipting invoices
• Regularly report progress on each job and quickly communicate delays or concerns with the Director - Operations. Report on manpower overruns or shortfalls.
• Act as a technical adviser on key projects and other areas of the business as requested.
• Work with the Director - Operations to respond to client’s requests for updates on the status of their jobs and keep the communication channels open to ensure information is accurate.
• Identify client’s needs and explain/demonstrate AMS's services to them, which may involve technical descriptions of products and the way they may be used.
• Receive and review feedback from customers and follow up to ensure customer satisfaction.
• Work with the Directors to investigate customer complaints and concerns arising from products and suggest appropriate solutions. Discuss with team to identify appropriate course of action.
• Develop and implement systems to record, file and store information pertaining to client enquiries.
• Identify staff that require on-going training and implement training opportunities to ensure their skills are improved. Work with apprentices and semi-skilled staff to role model appropriate technical skills.
• Provide feedback to staff that are not performing to the expected level and ensure human resources are informed of trends in performance.
• Promote a Health and Safety culture within the business.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Qualification as a Fitter and Turner (Trade Test Certificate) or relevant Diploma in Mechanical Engineering
• Years of experience in a similar industry or field (5 – 10 years)
• Be someone who is assertive with staff and can instil discipline in the Workshop environment
• Able to delegate and enforce Company Policies and Procedures
• Ability to run the Workshop, follow company protocols and ensure that the jobs are done on due date
• Knowledge of Health and Safety Procedures
• Quality Management Experience
• Drawing skills are an advantage but not essential
• Project management experience
• People management skills
• Computer literacy with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word and Excel
• Quality and productivity focused