Senior Network Engineer - Somerset West
To design, implement, co-ordinate and maintain the IT infrastructure and systems across required operational units to meet with the requirements of the client. Ensure backup, maintenance, redundancy strategies, monitoring processes and day to day operational processes are in place. The ideal candidate must take initiative, be self-driven and motivated, be able to self-manage, come up with improvement ideas, and be able to meet required deadlines while continually developing himself and others.
Duties & Responsibilities
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
In summary, you will be responsible for planning, designing, building, implementing, monitoring and supporting of IT related infrastructure and systems within a networked environment. Duties include the following:
• Perform the design, installation, configuration, testing, documentation, support and maintenance of operating systems, application software, system management tools and infrastructure or Products such as Exchange, MS Server Operating systems, SharePoint, Active Directory, DHCP, DNS, SQL Server, MS Cluster, Hyper-V and virtual machines within a cluster configuration
• Ensure the highest levels of system and infrastructure availability
• Implement, maintain, manage and monitor infrastructure and system monitoring tools system security, system recovery, disaster recovery testing, system logs and alerts management, redundancy strategies, maintenance of backup policies, strategies and procedures
• Assist with procurement where required; liaise with suppliers, oversee delivery, and manage suppliers where applicable
• Perform project management, and ensure delivery and completion on time and within budget
• Provide budget forecast to senior management, monitor and manage budget expenses in relation to infrastructure and system upkeep, maintenance and support to meet budgetary expenses.
• Implement, achieve and maintain IT compliance with regulatory requirements such as POPIA, PCI, ECT, etc.
• Adherence to, writing of, Implementing and maintaining of system documentation, processes and IT Policies and Procedures, inclusive of hardware and software inventory, configuration, deployment, licensing documentation, change control documentation and processes to systems or updates
• Provide 2nd and 3rd tier support to operations and assist with identification of frequent user problems, their reporting or system needs, and propose innovative solutions to challenges
• Maintain confidentiality regarding information being stored, processed, or accessed
On-the-job-training and knowledge transfer to sub-ordinate(s) where required.
Timeous submission of monthly reports and statistics
Monitor, review, approve and ensure compliance from IT operations and technicians for the distribution of antivirus installations, workstation operating or application updates, as per change control processes.
Desired Experience & Qualification
• Grade 12
• Relevant IT and MS Qualifications
• A+ and N+
• IT Related Degree advantageous
• Extensive experience in virtual infrastructure, San and cluster systems, and MS related server and exchange products
• Valid Unendorsed Code 08 Drivers License
• 5 - 8 years relevant experience,
• Setup, installation and configuration of server infrastructure and Microsoft related systems such as AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, Server operating systems, virtualisation and cluster configuration.
Required Competencies to meet the Job Outcomes:
• Excellent writing, documenting and communication Skills in English
• Excellent Computer Literacy and Interpersonal Relationship Skills
• Excellent problem solving and trouble shooting skills
• Demonstrate superb technical competency, delivering and supporting mission critical infrastructure or systems
• Any further formal IT related studies will be advantages
• Proven Windows Administration, Windows server, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, MS exchange, MS Hyper-V and MS Clustering experience with support skills and Microsoft related qualifications.
• San, Server infrastructure hardware knowledge, experience, operating and maintenance of a clustered host and Virtual Environment with related configuration management and qualifications or experience
• A+ and N+ qualification and related solid networking and hardware experience
• Backup and recovery principles
• Problem solving and decision making experience (Kepner Tregoe, etc.)
• Experience with monitoring and alerting systems
• SharePoint knowledge and experience advantageous
• Self-driven, motivated and innovative
• Curious and willing to learn
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
• Driver of a light motor vehicle
• Working conditions are normal for multiple offices and data centres
• Energetic & innovative
• Work requires extensive work using and working with computers