Analytics Customer Research Manager - Sandton
Package: Negotiable depending on experience and qualifications
Purpose of the position: To develop and execute a customer research strategy to provide Makro with up to date key insights into the market and its customers, and ensures Makro leverages these insight to drive measurable value.
Develop a customer research strategy to regularly provide the company with up to date key insights into the market and its customers
• Asses the current landscape of research within the company.
• Engage with various stakeholders from exec teams to stores and create a view of where research can provide the most value.
• Identify key strategic focus areas that tie into the company’s strategic direction.
Create a detailed plan on how the strategic actions can be executed
• Define the necessary activities required to address each strategic focus area.
• Develop an execution plan for the activities as well as accurate timelines.
• Work with the relevant business units and design the research activities to ensure they will provide actionable insights and that the impact of these actions can be measured.
• Consider the different internal tools at your disposal (online surveys, focus groups, euromonitor portal etc.) and the outsource opportunities.
• Create detailed business cases for projects that entail significant resource investment.
Ensure successful execution of all research projects
• Ensure all research tools like questionnaires, sample sizes etc. are correctly designed for each specific purpose.
• Ensure on-time delivery of research elements (questionnaires, target groups, data, analysis and insights etc.).
• Maintain and improve current routine research processes.
• Work with the other company teams and external providers to manage the execution of projects to ensure best quality results.
Develop an in-house capability for Market research.
• Work with business units to identify market research that would be of value.
• Recommend and evaluate different tools for gathering related market information.
• Create reports for disseminating information into business.
Deliver insights from research to the various business areas responsible for executing on recommendations and track impact of actions.
• Ensure all research results are analyzed and the key insights and recommendations are brought to light.
• Work with the other analytics team to ensure research analyses leverages off the other data sets available.
• Deliver the insights to the relevant business units within the specified timeframe.
• Work with the business units to ensure clear actions are agreed to.
• Measure the impact of actions through sales gains/repeat research.
Responsible for planning, directing and overseeing the operations and fiscal health of the Analytics: Customer Research team.
• Ensure team projects are aligned with other work within the broader Analytics team.
• Coach, mentor and develop staff, including overseeing new employee onboarding and providing career development planning and opportunities.
• Lead employees using a performance management and development process that provides an overall context and framework to encourage employee contribution and includes goal setting, feedback, and performance development planning.
• Maintain employee work schedules including assignments, job rotation, training, vacations and paid time off, telecommuting, cover for absenteeism, and overtime scheduling.
• Implement necessary procedures to ensure quality and accuracy of all deliverables.
Ensure the most efficient use of resources and tools through proper planning and management of projects
• Planning and overseeing multi-functional projects.
• Meeting with relevant stakeholders to understand project requirements.
• Solution design and identification of distinct tasks within the project.
• Assigning, scheduling and tracking of tasks within the Customer Research team.
• Ensure proper use of any scheduling tools by the team to enable accurate tracking of progress.
• Present results back to management and exec teams.
Qualifications and Experience
• Honours degree in Statistics, Consumer Sciences or related field.
• Previous experience in creating a corporate research strategy.
• Expert knowledge of research techniques and designs.
• Expert knowledge of analysis and report development of research results.
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel and Access.
• Previous experience in any of the following or similar tools beneficial: Survey Monkey, SQL, R and QlikView
• 6+ years’ experience in a customer research environment
• Excellent communicator and presenter [present and explain technical details to non-technical people]
• Strong leader [coach, mentor, motivate and support team members]
• Strong problem solving ability [quickly grasp a problem and independently design a viable solution]
• Detailed planner [setting of timelines and keeping to them]
• Resilient worker [persevere and deliver despite challenges]