Senior Piping Engineer - Midrand
Experience & Qualifications:
• Engineering Degree
• 10 years + experience in the Petrochemical Industry.
• 5+ years' experience in piping material engineering.
• Knowledge of ASME Codes, MSS-SP, ASTM standards and other relevant international codes.
• Specific Material Engineering Activities:
o Generate Material Requisitions for Piping Bulks and Special Piping Items., includes Expansion Bellows, Flexible Connections, Sampling Systems, Speciality Valves, etc.
o Perform Technical Bid Evaluations for Piping Bulks and Special Piping Items.
o Perform pressure calculations for non-standard items.
o Liaise with Suppliers and Procurement Group, as required.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
• For the design and approval of all piping on assigned projects.
• Preparation of project related standards and job notes.
• To ensure that engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules, in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with Company Procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa.
• Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
• Prepare and approve project specific standards and job notes.
• Prepare requisition index for special piping items, indicating planned issue date for each requisition. Update and reissue monthly.
• Prepare and check pipe stress calculations as required.
• Prepare pipe stress index. Update and reissue monthly.
• Prepare general notes requisitions or purchasing requirements for piping.
• Review and approve flowsheets for correctness of depicting piping and materials.
• Design and requisition special piping items.
• Prepare support sketches for the drawing office.
• Check piping bulk requisitions from MTO.
• Review and approve all piping drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
• Prepare technical bid analysis for special piping items.
• Check piping bulk technical evaluations from MTO.
• Attend co-ordination meetings and engineering review meetings with suppliers as required.
• Review document requirements and issue dates for major equipment with suppliers and assist Procurement Department in compiling a Suppliers' Document Index.
• Assist Procurement Department with the expediting of supplier documents.
• Review and approve supplier documents for piping and distribute.
• Assist Procurement Department in the evaluation of all claims by the supplier for increases in the engineering scope of work.
• Give guidance to Client, Project Engineers, other Specialist Engineers and Inspectors on piping engineering matters. Review piping aspects of package unit suppliers' drawings, as requested by the Engineer responsible for the equipment.
• Ensure that piping engineering operations are complete in accordance with the approved project schedule and within allocated manhours.
• Advise the Chief Piping Engineer of any slippages and their causes and proposed corrective action.
• Advise the Chief Piping Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
• Co-ordinate with Procurement Department and ensure that certified drawings are available in time to meet the engineering schedules.
• Notify the Project Engineer of all deficiencies in the flow of data or other basic information required for execution of work.
• Provide monthly progress report information to the Chief Piping Engineer.
• Provide information where necessary for estimating the cost of contract changes. Alert the Chief Piping Engineer to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
• Follow up piping construction work on projects sites to ensure correct interpretation of designs regarding installation. Resolve any piping problems arising during commissioning.
• Keep abreast of developments in the piping engineering field.
• Suggest ways to improve efficiency, costs and service in the execution of projects.
• Assist where necessary in the compilation of operating manuals and mechanical catalogues.
• Perform any other duties assigned by the Chief Piping Engineer.